Banged-up King’s takes third place at state tourney

Knights rebound from tough semifinal loss to beat Eagles

Edmonds Beacon Article

November 26, 2019

David R Pan

King’s Peri Welch (center) battles Seattle Academy’s Lily Bishop (left) and Kiki Caputo during a 1A state semifinal game Friday, Nov. 22, at Shoreline Stadium. The Cardinals prevailed 3-1 and later went on to win the state championship.

King’s had to dig deep.

Missing two key players who were out injured, the Knights fell behind 1-0 to Lakeside (Nine Mile Falls) but then rallied for two goals to pull out a 2-1 victory in the third/fourth place 1A state girls soccer tournament game Saturday, Nov. 23, at Shoreline Stadium.

The victory came less than 24 hours after King’s lost a bruising 3-1 contest to eventual state champion Seattle Academy, who edged Cascade (Leavenworth) 1-0 in overtime in the title game.

King’s junior forward Olivia Gabelein scored what turned out to be the winning goal. She said that Friday’s semifinal loss left the Knights feeling pretty down.

“We played a fine game. We just couldn’t get any finishes in,” she said. “Then today, I think it was all about just coming back with a heart and playing our game. Coming back from that loss we did really well. We were able to finish.”

King’s played without junior Annie Rasmussen and sophomore Taylor Burns. Both left Friday’s game with injuries. A third player, junior Meg Travis, was holding a bag of ice on her head at the end of the game but played in Saturday’s consolation contest.

Knights coach Nicole Gabelein said the loss of Rasmussen and Burns gave King’s added motivation.

“It was sort of like ‘OK. Let’s play another game. Another day. Let’s go home with No. 3,'” coach Gabelein said. “This game was important for us to win, especially missing a couple of players.”

The Eagles took a 1-0 lead on a header by Alyssa Conley at the 18th minute mark of the first half. Even though the Knights (18-5 overall) have generally led in most of their games, their coach wasn’t concerned.

“I thought we had our chances early on and we’d get more,” Gabelein said. “We were a little out of rhythm in that first half … it was just a matter of pulling it together.”

Ten minutes later, King’s Peri Welch chased down a ball that was headed in the right corner off a throw-in. The junior forward then outworked the defender and fired a shot past the Lakeside goalkeeper to tie the score.

“We always have confidence in each other and ourselves,” Welch said. “It was everybody with that play. We all worked together.”

King’s took a 2-1 on an Olivia Gabelein goal off an assist from Welch in the 51st minute.

Coach Gabelein was forced to make several adjustments in the lineup with the absence of Rasmussen and Burns. Freshman Grace Hansen, who was part of the collision that knocked Rasmussen out, did not see much playing time in Saturday’s game.

“A lot of different players played today,” coach Gabelein said. “We’ve got a lot of players that can play a lot of different spots.”

Rasmussen returned to the King’s bench to support her teammates on Saturday and was awarded a sportsmanship medallion at the end of the game.

In Friday’s semifinal game, Seattle Academy took a 1-0 lead early in the first half before senior Delaney Peterson tied the score at 1 on a penalty kick after the Cardinals were called foul. Seattle Academy retook the advantage with a goal at the 71st minute mark and then added another with about three minutes left in the game.

“We needed to start hitting feet and I don’t think we passed as well as we can,” coach Gabelein said. “They all played hard. It wasn’t their day to put the ball in the back of the net.”

King’s graduates five seniors – goalkeeper Grace Roberts, defender Sophie Ruhlman, defender/midfielder Hannah Carrithers, defender Taylor Faris and defender Peterson.

“We’re for sure going to miss every single one of them,” Welch said. “They all had such a big role on our team.”